The Boy’s Jacket

I’m using Simplicity 2292 for my son’s jacket.  It’s a very easy pattern but I can’t say that the directions are very good.  Things were going along swimmingly until I hit the sleeves.

 

 
 

The directions for the sleeves must be incorrect.  Stay with me here.  I followed the pattern to the letter.  I stitched up the sleeve seam, prepared the cuff, and just as I was going to attach the cuff, I realized that the sleeve opening was too small to fit in my machine.  I then realized that I should have attached the cuff prior to stitching the sleeve.  It would have made far more sense to do it this way as children’s clothing generally will not fit over the sewing machine.

Sorry, some of the pictures are upside down.  For some reason I can’t get them to stay right side up.  It doesn’t really matter, though.  You get the general idea no matter which way is up.

 

 

 

 

 

 Needless to say, I was frustrated because I attached twill tape to the outside of the sleeve which took some time and then spent more time trying to fix my serger that had decided to make trouble once again.  As a result, I made no progress on the jacket last night.  Tonight, I will be recutting the sleeves and attaching the twill tape once again.  Before I stitch up the seams, I will attach the cuffs, then the seams and then attach the sleeves to the body.

 Whew!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s